Tuesday, January 25, 2011

About BuzzTitan- A theory in SoMe part 1

Over the past decade I have been reinventing myself and my career, something many in the media industry have had to do in recent years. This gradual metamorphosis from old media hustler to new media maven took years and years, until that fateful morning I awoke from the cocoon and created my alter ego: Buzz Titan, The Giant Detective.

Buzz is a symbolic character for me, something that has meaning and is intricately connected to the brand I market, an innovative and creativity-driven video agency. With personal brand management (and that can mean a small business like my own or a multi-national corp with a slew of products and brands) it is most important that the digital presence of the brand be honest and memorable. The messaging should have its own voice, one that is cohesive and iconic. This requires a decent writer to maintain the conversation, as the standard promoted messages and links disappear from cognition as quickly as any of the other tens of thousands of marketing messages we bypass daily. Brands need an advocate, an embodiment, a character... a brand icon.

I wanted my brand icon to fulfill this for my business. My play on the concept of “Agency” in the business name is intentionally derivative of noir-genre pulp fiction, as the dramatic language of the Noir universe and its accompanying iconography are ripe for parody. I wanted a brand icon that was intelligent and deductive, and since most everything I do is tongue-in-cheek, I also wanted one that was a little bit lighthearted in this hardboiled world of digital media. The color scheme is my own personal signature: I love lavender and black, and since lavender is a floral color, it works with the bees. Bees pollinate; they keep the world beautiful, and parts of it bountiful. This is my core vision for the business (and for my life as well): pollinate ideas, help things grow, make the messaging (and clients) shine through and blossom. Create buzz... so I created Buzz. Every great detective novel protagonist has the name, Mike Hammer... Lew Archer.... Dan Fortune. Three syllable, hard-hitting, alpha male names: Hammer Archer Fortune. Sooo Buzz..... Titan. Three syllables, and whats more alpha than the spawners of the Greek Gods. Who were GIANTS.

So there it was, Buzz Titan. My brand icon. He is more than an alter ego for me, he is a voice, advocate, and representative for the Giant Detective Agency. On that day the Giant Detective, and my business, was born.


Thats all for now... tune in Friday for the rest of the story...

Yours Truly,
Buzz Titan

No comments:

Post a Comment